Saturday, July 5, 2008

Back to Tonga...

So I put a slide show on earlier, but I figured I'd put more on here before my trip is so outdated that it doesn't matter. So bear with me as I put more pictures up from my trip. Tonga was awesome. It is very poverty-stricken, but sooo beautiful. It really made me feel greatful for what I am used to on a daily basis, even electricity and running water, because so many people there don't have anything, and associate the US with what heaven would be like. It's a dream to them, and we have it so easy. It was just an amazing cultural experience...

We had to make a pit stop in Samoa on our way to Tonga...
At church...
We all bought these big clubs and started a white street gang at the market...

It was all coral and rock where you walk into the water, then about 75 yards out there are big coral rocks where the reef breaks with the water. All of us would sit out where the water came in and just get rocked. Most of us ended up with big cuts and scrapes because that coral is super sharp-but it was definitely worth it!


A sweet blue starfish we found in the shallow reef.
Blowholes on the coastline. They went up and down the coast for as long as we could see. These HUGE waves would come up and kablast the water up.
The newly re-built Tongan temple.

2 comments:

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Can I just WOWSERS!!!!!!!!!! What an amazing adventure and cultural experience. Going places like that does really make you grateful for what we have and what we so easily take for granted. Especially in this time where the economy is struggling and people are complaining, we still have SO MUCH to be grateful for! Your trip just looked incredible! Awesome blue starfish too!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

FUN TRIP!!!!!!!!! Wow, I want to come next time!