Thursday, September 22, 2011

Our Sweet Buddy


Last week was a hard one for us. My baby Wicket passed away. I know some may say it's just a dog, but Wicky was so much more. I don't have children, and he was the closest I think you can come to that for me. I got Wicky as a puppy when I was 16. I was still a kid and we grew up together. He was with me through High School, graduation, college, my first "real" job, meeting Brandon, and so many more experiences. We did everything together. I already miss sitting on the porch, letting him out to roam the neighborhood by himself, snuggling on the couch, prancing, getting licked from head to toe, him laying in my "teacup" between my legs at night on the bed, him watching me get ready for work while still relaxed on my bed, following me everywhere, captaining the car, his after drink cough, his only trick "sit pretty" and so many more little moments we did together. We were soul mates. He had been through a lot in the last month with his eye infection and removal, but the last week of his life was the best he'd been in a few months. We considered it a tune up! So when he suddenly got a cough one day and it worsened throughout the day, we didn't see it coming. But...I knew at some point the day would come when I would lose this best friend. I just didn't think it would be any time soon. If I had do script it, I can honestly say that it happened exactly the way I would have wished. I didn't have to put him down, I didn't have to look him in the eye and know I'd be making that decision. He let us know that evening that he was leaving, which allowed me to say goodbye. I snuggled him and rocked him in my arms until he left us. It was peaceful and in his favorite place-my bed. Our little family-Brandon, Charly, and I-were able to be with him as he left his earth. I am devastated, but am so grateful that he was mine. We miss him terribly. The tears are coming even as I write this. He may have been a dog, but he was MY dog. We miss you buddy. You left a big void in our lives. We love you.:)


The cutest brother and sister:)
Best friends!

The best smashed face ever. My sweet buddy. I can't wait to snuggle you again.

No comments: