Saturday, November 10, 2007

WE DID IT!!!!






New York Marathon...DONE!!! Brandon and I went to New York City with his family to run the marathon. It was the coolest marathon I have and probably will ever run. What a cool race- you start in Staten Island and run across a bridge on your first mile in Brooklyn. Then you run along 4 more bridges while you go through Queens, the Bronx, then into Manhattan where you finish at Central Park. There are tons of people throughout the whole route cheering you on. People hang out of the windows of their apartments yelling, and bands on the streets playing music. There were rock, country, and calypso bands- and a few rappers too. It is so cool how much the city gets into this marathon. We took it very slowly because of the body problems Brandon's mom and I have been having, and I think it payed off because we got faster and at a good pace and I didn't really feel any substantial back or leg pain until like mile 15- which is great cause most of my runs before, this the nerve problem would kick in at like 1/2 a mile-pathetic. There was so much to see (like Katie Holmes...Yes, we saw her but didn't know it was her till the next day when we saw her in the paper and recognized her outfit. Wierd...) that we jogged and just enjoyed the experience. The biggest problem came for me at 20 when for some random reason my foot began hurting like crazy! So...I stopped and walked-oh well, I don't care about my time, and it really hurt so it was okay. Brandon stayed and walked with me(his brother and mom had gone on ahead), then I told him to go and he ran off like a bat out of hell at mile 24. I kept walking to 25 (I had tried a couple of times to run but it was incredibly painful) then I decided to bite the bullet and run the last mile. So I started hobbling and got more and more used to the pain and ran the last mile through Central Park. Yes! The finish line-Hallelujah! Then we hobbled down to the subway and collapsed into nap time.

But anyway, so for the rest of our trip, we hobbled our sore bodies around town to see the sights. We went to the coolest exhibit called the Bodies Exhibition. They had these real bodies that had been treated and they strip them of certain parts to show different systems of the body. It was absolutely incredible. We went to Time Square, Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center)



and saw "Wicked". It was such an amazing trip and I think that we will probably end up doing this marathon again. What an experience.
Oh and we stayed with Spencer and Nicole Clawson a few nights in their cute apartment by the temple and Central Park-they are the best! Anyway, with all my problems- it ended up being just a randomly great day for my back, all things considered, and it was well worth all the problems I've had. Brandon also did awesome in his first marathon and was so sweet to stay with me when I had to stop and walk those last few miles. SUCCESS!!!

7 comments:

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Gelix - can I just say you are an inspiration. Congrats!!! That is seriously so amazing, especially with all of the problems you have had lately. WOW! Great job and I have heard that it is such a fun marathon, my cousin lives in NYC and has run in the past couple of years and just loves all the support from the fans, music, etc. Great job again... that is truly an amazing accomplishment.

Amy Gelwix said...

You, Brandon and Katie Holmes. I am so proud of all three of you. Really, inspiring. But seriously, way to take charge and finish it out despite the fits your body was giving you. That's a true athlete! Too bad you won't be running the Chicago ever, would have been fun for you and Lar to do together. XOXOXO

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

You are seriously impressive! Well done!!!!!!!!!!! Your pictures are amazing, so photogenic girl!

Katie M. said...

Jennifer Diane.


May i just bend down to you and chant "champion" forever in your presence?? I am impressed. How many marathons are you up to now, woman? You just keep on going. I'd love to do that marathon. Awesome. It's too bad there aren't some more winter SLC marathons, not until next spring at least. Bummer!

Julie and Devin said...

Hey Jenny!
Way to go on the New York marathon. I want to do that marathon someday as well. You are awesome.
Julie Bauman Stoker

The Mahas Family said...

Good job, girl! I'm glad you were able to finish! It's fun seeing you at the library every once in awhile (:

RiChArd and MeReDitH said...

Jenny!
we found your blog through Julie! We loved reading your posts...you are hilarious! RIch is trying to convince me to run the new york marathon now...thanks alot! Just kidding. It sounds like fun, other than the running 26.2 miles! check out our blog richnmere.blogspot.com
rich and meredith