Friday, October 12, 2007

My lucky day :(


So I have quite possibly the worst luck of all time. Anyone who knows me very well knows that I have had back problems for years. The last two marathons I've run I've gone in for cortisone shots before each marathon, and my Escape from Alcatraz triathlon time was well, let's just say it wasn't as good as it could have been because I almost personally amputated my back during the bike part to ease the pain...

Anyway, so since June I've had this crazy pain in my hamstring and thought I pulled it. After continuing to run on it, it got worse and worse to the point where I would have this stabbing knife pain in the back of my leg randomly/frequently throughout the day when I wasn't running or even doing anything, then it would spread to my bum, hips, and back. I just kept training even though the pain was awful. So finally I went to the doctor thinking that I pulled my hamstring, turns out that I am having Sciatic nerve problems in my back that I've been masking for years with the cortisone and it's just getting worse.

I had to go in for an MRI a week ago (While I've been taking a boat load of pills- a steroid pack, Loritab, and Ibuprofin), and let me tell you what a weird experience that was! So I opted for Valium because I'm slightly claustrophobic, and hello-fabulous! I walk into the room and check for possible wedgies because I am warned over and over that if I move at all they will have to start over- and who can resist picking a wedgie for 20 minutes! Then you lay down and get moved into this tunnel that has zero room and the fun begins. You lay there while the machine goes crazy and is all loud and disturbing, but lucky for me I was so medically-induced relaxed that I could have been in the middle of an open fire battle in Iraq and not flinched a muscle!

So long story short, I have a mild broadbased posterior nerve impingement (yeah not sure exactly what that means, but all my pads between my back bones that lead to my sciatic nerves are bulging or slipped or something) but physical therapy won't do anything and my doctor doesn't want me operated on because I'm so young, so I now have to go have steroids injected into my back with a needle while I'm having a real time xray. Again-not really sure what's going on. But the worst part is that I can't run, bike, or swim-I can't do squat! I have to completely leave everything alone until I can have this intervention done to my back to see if it is effective.

What does this mean- I will probably be setting the record for least fast person ever running(or crawling) the New York Marathon. Ahhhh, how great to have the back of a 90 year old...Life has a swell way of giving you a sense of humor...

4 comments:

James Thomas said...

As a fabulous doctor and sufferer of back pain of my own, from my CNAing days, let me be the first to say that sucks! Don't worry Jenny, soon I will revolutionize the medical world with a back procedure which removes the nerves from ones back completely-no nerves = no pain. My patients will then be wisked about in their sleak, state of the art Segways. Do I hear Noble Prize in medicine? Seriously, I hope the treatment works great and you'll be out there pounding that pavement again in no time.

Bart said...

Hi Jenny! I clicked on the link on James and Angie's blog, assuming this would be yours. And it is - imagine that.

All the sympathy in the world for the back issues! I can't stand it when I can't run or bike or anything due to injuries. I guess we'll all just have to hope James T. makes his revolutionary advances in medicine so we don't have to feel anything anymore.

Spencer and Nicole said...

I AM SO SORRY! There is nothing worse then training, getting hurt, running with pain, and then being told to stop running! I feel for you girl. I hope you get things resolved soon. And I hope you are still able to come out to NY!
Get better!

Nicole

Amy Gelwix said...

BUMMER! I am so sorry to hear about your back. But how great you are for persevering! Will call soon...